Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Yes, I eat salads too!

When it comes to salads, well, I basically hate salads. Except when it has crisp apples, some candied walnuts and a good helping of Gorgonzola thrown in. But today I made a huge bowl of salad that I cannot stop eating. It's so good, I feel like I'm eating ice cream, or chocolate, or both. That guilty.

So what did it have? Asparagus, garlic, red onion, red pepper flakes, sea salt, cracked black pepper and olive oil. Use tender asparagus and trim their ends (basically bend the fat end, and when it snaps - that's how much you trim off the entire bundle). Mince a clove of garlic. Shave a quarter of a red onion into thin slices (yes shave it on a mandoline or slice it paper thin. This is important). This is your 'mise en place' - everything in place for your salad. Oh, also preheat your oven to 375F.

On a sheet tray, arrange the trimmed asparagus to form a single layer. Sprinkle some olive oil to coat the asparagus and to ensure all the seasonings stick. Add the garlic, onions and all the seasonings. Use your fingers to toss everything together and again, arrange the asparagus to form a single layer. The onions and garlic will hide between, over and under the asparagus and that's just how you want it to be.


Then place the tray in the oven and wait for 10-15 minutes. It should be done in 10 minutes. I let it go to 15 and the slightly over cooked asparagus was tender and creamy as I bit into them. And the 15 minutes helped the onions brown to sweet perfection (see this is why the thin slices are important).


The salad itself doesn't look great - limp green spears and browned onion bits. It was good hot out of the oven, but great when I let it sit in the refrigerator for about an hour. Then I started eating. Picking up each spear, trying to add the onions over each for the perfect bite.


I started with about 25 asparagus spears, and then there were none.

Not really, I left 2 for boy to taste.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Swami said...

Hey,

Even though I just got the last two out of 25, it was still heavenly. I wish my cafeteria salads were like this!

10:46 PM, August 10, 2010  
Anonymous Amma said...

oye, good job divya, though I really wanted to taste your culinary expertise when u were in Bangalore. maybe next time. vigu wanted brownies. I should try the same with keerai thandu I guess.

10:54 PM, August 10, 2010  
Blogger galadriel said...

Ooh, sounds yummy. Must try! Keep posting! (This is your namesake btw :))

9:14 AM, August 11, 2010  
Blogger DSK said...

@ Swami - your cafeteria could give me a stall. I'll sell this very healthy salad and some gorgeous chocolate truffles :)

@ Amma - hahaha, Keerai thandu is a good idea! Try Namdhaari's for asparagus though. And there's no way I'm cooking when you are around - way too lazy for that :)

@ Galadriel - You should. It was 'junk food' good.

10:17 AM, August 11, 2010  
Anonymous Arthi said...

Asparagus is my favourite. Will try this out. Have u tried pasta with Asparagus sauce...its yummy.

1:50 PM, August 11, 2010  
Blogger Tess said...

sounds delicious

7:47 AM, October 05, 2010  
Blogger 123 said...

red bottom shoes Puma Health and assurance Red Bottom Shoes or boots are a part of the account of bazaar leaders in bartering beautiful cossack for plan and assurance purposes. From architecture for the trades, it is capital to admission to sturdy,admiring cossack that isnt traveling to alone looks acceptable but will aswell feels comfortable. With Puma Red Bottom Shoes or boots, we see a architect alive to agglutinate appearance befitting the auto safe,to a amount of success,which can be accessible application their able sales abstracts in the industry.Increase how the ability they accommodate you with the a college akin aegis affected to attempt while on a abundant automated scale,and Puma are ablebodied on their access to getting the appropriate accomplishing plan cossack manufacturer. But delay,how could you acquisition Puma Red Bottom Shoes for your bargain amount from abounding amount prices?Is there throughout whatever way you, shoes with red bottom getting a consumer, can advice that will conserve money.

1:11 AM, October 12, 2012  

Post a Comment

<< Home