Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Diwalification

Diwali is my favourite festival. Yes, favourite, not favorite. Not Yet!

Everything about it is fun. The noise, the pollution, the new clothes, the shows on TV, waking up at half past four in the morning, racing to be the first to light a fire cracker in the apartment, the oil baths. Then there's all the great food, the 7 cup cakes, the thengai burfis, the laddoos, the jaangiris and all the namkeen. There's a reason why we make the Inji Marundhu. Digestion.

My first year in Seattle, I spent Diwali with my aunt and her family. The second year, my mom was here. So both times Diwali happened on automatic mode. The house was cleaned up. All the food was prepared, I was woken up early, the TV was already blaring the Pattimandram... you get my point.

This time, it was MY Diwali. I called all my work - Diwalification. The cleaning up, the new bed sheet, the new table cover, the preparation of my 'proxy' proxy pak, the rangoli, the mehendi, the flowers, the lamps, the exchange of wishes both at IST and PST, the new saree, the glittery salwar kameez, the boy's help prepping all the food, the boy's new clothes, the boy having to hook up the laptop to the TV to watch my tamil channels online, traditional lunch with friends, fireworks in the evening, antaakshari and pot luck dinner. All Diwalification.

I missed having things done for me and yet loved doing them all myself.
Our warm Diwali wishes to all reading this. Hope you had a Blast! Literally too!

7 Comments:

Anonymous Ravi said...

Ah, what a blast it was! Loved everything about this diwali, great job mpt!

4:46 PM, October 20, 2009  
Blogger DSK said...

Thanks Ravi. aappeee deeevaavali.

5:03 PM, October 20, 2009  
Blogger geeta said...

oye happy to know that deevavalli went off well for both of you. send pics soon.

10:22 PM, October 20, 2009  
Anonymous WW said...

Happy Diwali Ppl.

Same here. First Diwali all by myself. Midnight bakshnaming, oil bath, pizza dinner.. it was nice.

12:58 PM, October 21, 2009  
Blogger DSK said...

@ Geeta: You'll have to wait for the pitures... or badger the son in law, he'll get it done for you.

@ WW: Pizza on any day sounds like fun for me :) Did Sukh like her 2nd Diwali better?

4:27 PM, October 21, 2009  
Blogger Divya Rao said...

Hey there...I thought of you when I looked at this blog. Take a look - http://www.bakerella.com/

10:10 PM, October 24, 2009  
Blogger ahli sumur jogja said...

what a blast it was! Loved everything about

12:47 AM, November 01, 2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home